Monday, April 4, 2011

FUN. FUN. FUN. FUN.

Okay, something really weird has happened. Last night, I listened to this song several times"



Alright, I know you've all seen it, but I think it's really worth posting again because something like this really gets lost in the muddle of the Internet. And that's because the Internet is full of hyperbole. According to Internet commenters, the greatest movie of all time comes out almost constantly, and the same goes for the greatest video game, the greatest comic, and the greatest album by the greatest band of all time.

So let me be totally clear, and I feel that I can be completely objective.

I think "Friday" might be the worst song ever.

I am tempted to go through and explain exactly all of the things that are horrible about this song, but that would likely be redundant at this point. So please, take the time to enjoy this, and really critically considered how it actually might be the worst thing ever. To me, it is a work of art.

But that's not the weird thing.

Because today I've listened to a song over and over again as well. And while I can't be quite as subjective as I was with Ms. Black, I can say that I think I've found the BEST. SONG. EVER.

Okay, I don't really think that. I have no idea what the best song ever is. However, I really have just found my new favorite song. Which I haven't done in over six years now. I know it seems quick to say that, but I haven't connected with a song since, well, my last favorite songs.

What is it? They Might Be Giants released one new song from their upcoming album, Join Us. You can hear it here.

It's called "Can't Keep Johnny Down". For those not in the know, both of the principal members of TMBG share the first name, John. This song was primarily composed by John Linnell (with John Flansburgh adding his guitar and vocal harmonies to the piece). After a listen, one would likely note the defiant but optimistic tone of the lyrics. It's something you see a lot in songs, but they're usually sung by young people and have a tendency to come off as whiny, if not handled correctly.

The difference with "Can't Keep Johnny Down" is that John Linnell is 51. To me, it makes the song so much more sincere. And I'm really rooting for the guy. He deserves to be defiant. As we all do, sometimes.

So there. The best and worst. I highly recommend taking the time to enjoy both.

2 comments:

  1. WHERE IS THE LIKE BUTTON I WANT A LIKE BUTTON

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^Joshua Pilch likes this.

    Which do you like? "Friday", or "Can't Keep Johnny Down", or the story in general?

    ReplyDelete